Tuesday, August 14, 2007

food for the body and soul

There's an unassuming restaurant called Vatica in an unassuming strip center on the corner of Terrell Mill and Powers Ferry in Marietta that I am absolutely addicted to. I mean it -- I suffer from withdrawal when I can't make it in for lunch in a given week. Meat eaters beware, you'll only find vegetables here.

Walking through the double glass doors, I'm greeted with a big smile and a "where have you been?" from the manager as he motions me back to my favorite booth in the back, following soon after with a pitcher of ice water and a glass. There's a menu lying on the table, but it's really just for add-ons -- the meal will be what the "better half" of the couple that owns Vatica has chosen for the day. Don't worry, though, I've never been disappointed by her choices.

The meal is called thali, and it comes on a platter with bread and rice, surrounded by tiny bowls of vegetables. Although the actual dishes vary, there is always a pattern -- soup, a green vegetable, a legume dish, potatoes and a yogurt dip. I always like the dishes, but the soup is by far my favorite. Don't worry if you have a big appetite -- friendly waitresses bring by carts with seconds of any or all of the items on your platter. They'll keep coming around until you are stuffed!

As great as the food is, that's only one of the things that draws me to Vatica, week after week (I've got a craving for it even as I write!). The real pull is the charming owner, Dhiro (I'm probably not even close on the spelling.), who systematically makes the rounds to every table as lunch is served. He always looks like he's up to something, sort of like my 9 year-old nephew. His favorite joke is to tell me the bill is $50 (it's really $8.99), which makes me laugh every time as I joke back with a similarly corny response. Don't let his goofy manner fool you though -- he's a successful businessman, a devoted husband and father, and a interesting conversationalist.

Lunch is usually one of those choices that is a chore, but Vatica provides an experience that I choose every time I get the chance. The manager asked "see you Thursday?" as I left. I told him I couldn't make Thursday, but this might be the week I go for seconds.

The Assessment: the food nourishes your body and the people nourish your soul

No comments: